Tracing World War II Heritage in Ptuj on Bicycle
Meeting point: Ptuj town hall
Tour distance: 15km
Duration: ½ of the day
Terrain: asphalt-macadam (plain country)
The city of Ptuj has a rich and long history. There area was settled even before the Romans, who came in the 1st century AD. But further back in time we want to look, fewer remains and monuments we will find. Ptuj was also involved in one of the biggest tragedies in history – in the Second World War. Occupier forces encountered one of the toughest resistance movements in Europe on the territory of today Slovenia. Several historical objects and stories behind them still remained to the present day. They have an interesting story to tell, – we just have to look behind the bushes, new disguises & facades, compare them with old pictures and what is most important: to listen. Travel back in time with an experienced tourist guide and a former history student. You will get to know how people lived in Ptuj 70 years ago, have a chance to see some old bunkers, get a glimpse of what was destroyed and a lot more. Discover also some recent history events of the oldest Slovenian town learn something from it, gather full of impressions and become wiser.
Good bicycle, appropriate clothes, water, snack and good health are expected. In case of bad weather or any other dangerous conditions the trip can be cancelled or rescheduled.
Ptuj cycling programme:
During the cycling trip in / around Ptuj we are going to visit:
- Homestead of national hero Jože Lacko,
- Old prisons,
- Antiaircraft bunker,
- Primary school Mladika,
- Railway bridge over Drava river,
- Ptuj town hall,
- Lackova street,
- Remains of former antitank ditch.
Price: 25€ per person (5-10pax) or 19€ per person (11-15pax) – Also bigger groups are invited.
- Tourist guide in English or German,
- Traditional Ptuj’s doughnut called krof,
- Ptuj town map,
- All outdoor visits upon the program,
- Organization and taxes.
- Bicycle renting 12€ per day,
- Visit of the oldest wine cellar in Slovenia: Ptuj wine cellar, avdio-video presentation, roll with cheese, and wine tasting (4 sorts) 12€ per person (min 11pax),
- Old-town guiding 50€ per group,
- Lunch / Dinner 6-15€ per person,
- Accommodation in Ptuj,
- Entrance fees, personal expenses and activities out of the programme.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR GROUPS: We adapt the programme exclusively for you.
Make a reservation or send us an inquiry. We send you an offer free of charge: