Ptuj by bicycle©maribor-pohorje.si
Meeting point: Ptuj town hall
Tour distance: 15km
Duration: ½ of the day
Terrain: asphalt-macadam (plain country)
Ptuj is the oldest city in Slovenia. It was settled already over 5.000 years ago. From the very beginning, its faith was determined due to its important position predicting that Ptuj would be involved several times in historical events of European importance. In the Iron age Ptuj was settled by the Celts, but the Romans set up a military camp destined to be a starting point for conquering Panonia, right opposite the settlement of the indigenous people on the south river bank of Drava. We will visit the place where the Roman camp was situated and where Vespasian was elected as emperor in the year 69 AD. Two Mithraeums, also known as the Temples of Mithras lie in the vicinity. We will then continue our tour to the old town centre of Ptuj. Along the way we will discover the remains of the ancient Roman road, several sarcophagi, Roman brick ovens and one of the highest Roman grave stones in Europe – The Orpheus monument. After interesting town sightseeing, we will continue our journey to a nearby village and enjoy like the Romans did – namely in food and wine. After lunch in a excellent local restaurant we will experience wine tasting in an old wine cellar. This will be our day like in the good old times of the Roman Poetovio.
Good bicycle, appropriate clothes, water, snack and good health are expected. In case of bad weather or any other dangerous conditions the trip can be cancelled or rescheduled.
Ptuj cycling programme:
During the cycling trip in / around Ptuj we are going to visit:
- Mithra temples in Hajdina and Breg,
- The Orpheus monument,
- Roman brickworks kiln,
- Remains of roman road Aquileia-Savaria,
- Roman sarcophagi,
- Panorama hill,
- Povoden museum.
Price: 25€ per person (5-10pax) or 19€ per person (11-15pax) – Also bigger groups are invited.
- Tourist guide in English or German,
- Traditional Ptuj’s doughnut called krof,
- Ptuj town map,
- All outdoor visits upon the program,
- Organization and taxes.
- Bicycle renting 12€ per day,
- Visit of the oldest wine cellar in Slovenia: Ptuj wine cellar, avdio-video presentation, roll with cheese, and wine tasting (4 sorts) 12€ per person (min 11pax),
- Old-town guiding 50€ per group,
- Lunch / Dinner 6-15€ per person,
- Accomodation in Ptuj,
- Entrance fees, personal expenses and activities out of the programme.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR GROUPS: We adapt the programme exclusively for you.
Make a reservation or send us an inquiry. We send you an offer free of charge: